Once you have found a property that you would like to take a look at, be sure to check off all these boxes before signing the lease.
- Do windows and accessible fire escapes have good locking mechanisms?
- Do outer doors of the apartment stay locked at all time?
- Do the apartment doors have good dead-bolt locks?
- What are the facilities or landlords reviews and ratings online?
- Is the residence well maintained and clean?
- Is there parking, if needed?
- Are pets allowed?
- What utilities are you responsible for?
- Is it in a noisy or busy area?
- Who do I call if there is a plumbing or electrical issue? At what hours can I call?
- Am I responsible for my own furniture?
- Is there air conditioning or heat?
- Are there any leaks? Mildew? Mold?
You should be sure to take photographs of any damage found in the apartment or house. These photos could help you out upon moving out, if you and your landlord disagree on who is responsible for damage.